Fortress of Garcimuñoz Castle

c/ Corredera, s/n, Castillo de Garcimuñoz (Cuenca)

Cultural Visit

Castillo de Garcimuñoz is a small town in the province of Cuenca, which was declared a historic complex in 2002. Its main peculiarity is that it is made up of two different castles: one on top of the other. Namely, the castle that was inhabited  by Don Juan Manuel since 1312 and the other that was built by the Marquis of Villena Don Juan Pacheco in 1458.

The first references to the Castle of Arab origin date back to the year 1172 when the Emir Abu Yacub Yusuf, by way of Huete, destroys and enslaves its women and children. Restored by Garcí-Muñoz, it was inhabited by Don Juan Manuel who controlled  the manor of Villena from this settlement, and so continued the successive marquises until Don Juan Pacheco moved the control center to Belmonte. 

In the visit to this castle you can see the North-south wall that protected it, and various spaces  organized around an inner courtyard that acted as a distributor.

The castle of Don Juan Pacheco began to be built in 1458 on the remains of the previous one that had been demolished. The master who built it was Martín Sánchez Bonifacio, one of the members of the School of Toledo.

It's a transition castle to Fort Bastions, built in Elizabethan Gothic style as testified by its billiard of Çross and Orb and the decorative frame that surrounds the castle below the windows of the second floor, the diamond tips and Avila´s balls of its cover, etc
Its destruction and the recess of its canvases and towers occur from the year 1663 when a Castle's bay becomes the current Church of St. John the baptist, inaugurated in 1708. The Castle's walls served as a quarry for the works of the Church.

The castle has been recently restored (2010-2016) by Izaskun Chinchilla in postmodern Style. It is a controversial restoration, where the sculpture is mixed with the architecture, but it is worth the visit to assess the different styles of restoration of Castles. 

The rehabilitation carried out permits the visit to:

  • The homage tower with 16.5 meters in diameter whose original cistern has been recovered. 
  • The four Gothic windows on the second floor and the singular windows of the First. 
  • The inside of the Southwest tower that ends the visit to this castle and leads to the platform that gives access to the castle of Don Juan Manuel, in it we find 40 solar chimneys today which are only decorative.

Recommended Services

Where can you eat?

Schedule

Visiting hours from June 1 to October 28:  

From Wednesday to Sunday:

  • Morning: from 11:00 to 14:00 
  • Afternoon: from 16:00 to 20:00

 

Location

Address:

Corredera St., no number, Castillo de Garcimuñoz (Cuenca)

How to get there:

From the motorway A3, exit 156, at the roundabout must take the 2nd exit CM-3110 towards Castillo de Garcimuñoz and 1 Km straight ahead is the FORTRESS.

×